I am back from a WONDERFUL holiday. Thanks to y'all I felt much better by the time I got to the plane. This was just as well. I know you will find it hard to believe, but this adorable creature nearly destroyed a row of seats on an aeroplane: It turns out Mr Small has a pathological aversion to aeroplanes and he felt the need to make this crystal clear for the entire flight. However, he, like the rest of us was enchanted by our holiday destination.
Just before we left I'd been helping a cousin with one of her uni essays. It was about two pretty depressing films and she had done alot of research on them. I suggested to her though that maybe she should consider that even though both films were futuristic science fiction films, there were powerful connections to the fable "Pandora's Box."
Because the truth is, as adults, we see so much that is sad, that is unbearable, that is just downright painful. And somedays, it's an effort just to put one foot in front of the other. And yes, I know that many children are exposed to all this too. My little ones have been pretty blessed thus far.
I had alot of posts to catch up in my google reader this week and alot of people have been bitterly hurt and wounded in recent days. And yes, I know I'm coming back with a recharged battery, relaxed and refreshed but I think this is so important.
In the story of Pandora's Box, the bit where, after all the pain, lies and suffering had escaped and poisoned the world. Pandora lay there weeping and the little voice of Hope, still trapped in the box, implored Pandora to free her. Intially Pandora refused. And why wouldn't she? I mean, look what happened the last time she opened the box! But she did open it, and we all know what Hope did and still does.
And I think sometimes, that's what we need to do.
It's hard.
It's scary.
But we need to let Hope fly free.
And on a happy note, some happy snaps!
Fabulous food:
A Balinese Princess:
Beautiful places of worship:
The coolest place ever, I was cool by association for about 5 seconds. Kudeta!