One of my favourite books in the world is about what it means to be brave. At the end, our hero, who nobly sacrifices his life says: "It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known." (Charles Dickens "A Tale of Two Cities")
I got to thinking about this, because an Australian soldier was awarded a VC medal this week. He was awarded it for drawing enemy fire on himself in order to protect a wounded interpreter.
In accepting the award he simply said he was one among many, and he wasn't brave. That was his job and it was what he was supposed to do.
And it got me thinking,
what does it mean to be brave exactly?
I myself am not brave. I flee at the first sign of wildlife. I shrieked shamelessly, in front of my poor children, at the sight of a mouse that took up (a brief) residence in my home a few months ago. My pain threshold is dismal. Waxing is not an option for me!
However there are times when I have had to be brave. I haven't wanted to be. In fact when people told me how brave I was (as to what I was being brave about, it's a whole other post in itself) I wanted to scream at them. "I didn't choose this. It chose me!"
And thats the kicker.
Most times bravery is thrust upon us.
We have to be courageous. There is no other choice other than to just get through it.
I'm sure I'm not alone in this.
And I think that's the thing.
Bravery isn't necessarily about doing something, most times, it's about how we handle events or circumstances thrust upon us. I stand in awe of people who use their tragedy to inform the way they live their lives, or better still devote their time to helping others. But alot of them would agree that being brave, it isn't usually a choice. It's a necessity.
So this week, I've done things that scared me.
One of these was that I've written an article and submitted it to a magazine.
Actually, it was more an idea.
Can't tell you how flattered I was when the Features Editor wrote back asking if I was a journalist.
"Who, me?"
That's the thing.
Rejection terrifies me.
So, no, I haven't been in a courage under fire situation, but writing and submitting my idea this week.
For me, that took bravery.