We had another enjoyable afternoon of minus tide beach-going. I found this rock-dwelling isopod just inside the wet zone.

A few miscellaneous shots:

A delicate little branch


A dolphin(!)


There were lots of colorful bits of plastic that had washed ashore. Colorful, but sad when you think about how much of this stuff is out there in the ocean, and it's killing so many fish and birds who are eating it.



I rescued this ladybug from the sand at the edge of the wet zone. I wanted to bring it to safety, but I didn't want to walk all the way back to where the plants were, so I stuck her on my hat and she stayed there for over an hour as I beachcombed. I kept asking my family, "is the ladybug still on my hat?" and they always said yes. As we climbed the hill to go back to the parking lot, I found a mallow plant that already had some ladybugs on it, so I figured it would be a good place to release her. I wanted to take a picture of her on the plant, but she disappeared to quickly. I guess I'm lucky she stayed still on my hat as long as she did.