I thought onion rings would be a fun, quick and easy snack to make for the USA v Ghana game. Onion rings are also a good American snack! This is the first time I'd made these and I was pleasantly surprised. They were really nice and I was able to make them 30 minutes before everyone came and put them in the oven to heat them up when we were hungry. They didn't get soggy either.

Onion Rings
adapted from BBC Good Food

Ingredients
2 large onions
oil for deep frying (I used vegetable, the recipe says groundnut)
2 egg yolks
1 tbs oil
150ml milk (I used soy)
1 egg white

1. Sift the flour into a bowl with a pinch of salt and make a well in the center. Drop in the egg yolks and the oil. Mix to a smooth batter with milk and beat well. Cover and stand in a cool place for 30 minutes (I put it in the fridge).


2. Slice the onions into rings about 1cm wide. Put the oil in the pan no more than 1/3 full and heat to 190 C. I turned my electric stove top to 6 or 7. Whisk the egg white until stiff and fold into the batter. Dip the onion rings into the batter in batches and fry until golden brown. About 3-4 minutes.


They'll get nice and crispy and the onion will taste sweet. I served with BBQ sauce and ketchup