Did you know Qatar has a population of approx 786,000?
Did you know its primary industry is crude oil production?
Did you know it isn't part of the United Arab Emirates?

Well I didn't.
And why, you may ask, do I know this about Qatar?
I've been doing some research.
A vague conversation with DH a few weeks ago made passing reference to the possibility of a job there. A good job. A job that would leave us mortgage free in a few short years. A job that would provide us to exposure to a totally different culture and tradition.
It's also a job that would rip us from the family and friends we know and love. It would mean taking the kids away from the school they love. A job that would see DH working impossibly long hours, while I raised three kids in an isolated environment.

And unfortunately, it's gone from being an abstract concept to a very real possibility.
I'm pretty sure you can figure out why. DH is still gainfully employed. For now. But like most jobs, nothing is certain. In fact, I'd go so far to say as, things are very uncertain.
We made a deal many years ago, that we are a family, we would stick together. So him getting a job where he works away alot isn't an option for us. If one goes, we all do.
So right now I'm nervous, scared and upset. I need to be supportive and encouraging, but I also need to articulate my concerns clearly. However I don't want to come across as a negative influence either. it's hard to get the balance right.
T.S Eliot my favourite poet wrote: "Nothing is as constant as change."
He's right.
Keep us in your thoughts (and prayers if you say them) I know what I would like to happen, but I also need to be open to the very distinct possibility that this will instead.
I need to see it as an opportunity, an adventure. That's what I will have to tell my kids.
The words are just stuck in my throat tonight.