Often when I need a break, nothing soothes me more than curling up on the lounge and re-reading a favourite book. It can range from a political biography to a light piece of fiction. I have always been a keen reader and a fast one. It's proved to be an expensive hobby over the years! However, the speed at which I can "devour" huge pieces of material proved invaluable at uni, especially when I left assignments to the last minute.
I have slowed down my reading in recent years, not least because I have a family who need my attention.
Our house has shelves and shelves overflowing with books. I usually remove covers of hardback books because I will read a book over and over again if I love it, and one day, I may pass these books on; if I do, I can put the cover on and hey voila! Outwardly, at least it will look brand new!
But these past few nights I have found myself awake in the night for long stretches of time. A combination of my pain and a teething (almost) two year old have meant that sleep has proved hard to find. So I have sought solace in books. Having looked at the HUGE pile of books outside our bedroom door this morning DH remarked that my reading tastes were eclectic to say the least. I thought I would share the books and a few brief comments about them.
They included:
Blair Unbound: Anthony Seddon. It's a critical commentary on the final period of Tony Blair's period as PM in UK. I pulled it out because I wanted to cross reference some things said about TB in another book I am reading on him. It's quite dry, but interesting nonetheless.
The Messenger: Markus Zusak. I was given this by my dad and started reading it last night. I am not far enough in to say if I like it or not. I loved "The Book Thief" though so I am sure I will love this.
Michelle Obama by Liza Mundy. I was really keen to read this book but it was very disappointing. It's light and fluffy, I think I will probably try and get some of the writings Michelle Obama did earlier in her career to get a real sense of who she is.
Geogiana, Duchess of Devonshire by Amanda Foreman. I LOVE THIS BOOK. This period of history is fascinating and Foreman has researched incredibly well and bought the characters to life. Much better and more engaging than the movie starring Kiera Knightley.
The Gift of Peace by Cardinal Joseph Bernadin. This book brings me great solace, especially at the moment. I opened it just now to find something I could share with you and found myself wanting to quote all of it! But I will limit myself to this, it is particularly apt on this day. Good Friday. "As we look upon the cross and recall the specific ways by which people share in its mystery, there are many perspectives to be considered. I will highlight only one: The essential mystery of the cross is that it gives rise to a certain kind of loneliness, an inability to see clearly how things are unfolding, an inability to see that, ultimately, all things will work for our good, and that we are, indeed, not alone."
New Moon by Stephanie Meyer. Two words. Edward Cullen!
Bill Clinton: My Life. And what a life! I got this off the shelves again because I remembered a vague reference to where he signed a bill making it easier for banks to lend money to people who wouldn't normally get them. It was another piece in the puzzle I am trying to put together about how the world has suddenly slid into recession.
Scarlett: by Alexandra Ripley. Like I said, I like light and fluffy! I dug this from the back of a shelf the other day and instantly journeyed back many years.
Diana Moseley by Anne de Courcey. A biography about a woman who is both compelling and utterly repellant. A bit like her whole family. And yes, I have read the biographies of all the Mitford sisters.
The Blair Years by Alastair Campbell. This was the book that I was reading when I picked up the other to do a cross reference. It's a great insight into how the media to a great extent dictates the political process. Well it's interesting to me!
So that's my night time reading. I am not in a place where I can write about what may, or may not be wrong with me. When I know more, I will tell more, I promise. This afternoon I head to Church for the three o'clock service. One thing I know for sure, when I look at the cross as it enters our Church, I know, that during this time. I do not walk alone.