A few weeks ago I a had an email asking me if I would write a blurb on Vienna for publication on a website. I was offered $100 which I accepted with alacrity – I can use this as a down payment on our next dinner at Bauer.

The publication date was yesterday – and I am pleased to say the Wien made the cut. Here is the site:

http://www.askmen.com/specials/2009_top_29/vienna.html

I went to collect my barbecue from the Miele shop. They sell only Miele electrical goods – but also Weber barbecues.

Last time I was there I paid a deposit of €100 in cash as their Bankomat machine wasn’t working. Today it was working – but wouldn’t accept my card. Of course they don’t take credit cards so I wandered off the bank to get cash (I had to go the bank as the cash machine has a small limit).

I am surprised that any commerce takes place at all here. It is really difficult to buy anything expensive as so many places don’t take credit cards.

Last time I said that if I ever bought anything else in Wien I would have it delivered. I am saying it again and this time I mean it.

They wheeled out quite the biggest box I have ever seen and I trundled it home on my little trolley. It was too heavy to get up the steps so I had to take it down the steps and across the courtyard to the elevator. It sort of fell of half way down and crashed down about a dozen steps (sounds familiar) but did no damage.

Oh Dear! It’s too big for the elevator.

So I unpacked it and took it up in four separate loads. I must say though that it was really easy to assemble - which is just as well because the assembly instructions were in four languages – none of them English. I have only a couple of bolts left over and don't think these are vital.

The operating manual is also not in English but I think I can manage using the following procedures:

1 Light barbecue

2 Cook meat

Now – I just have to find where they sell Gaz.

I got many strange looks today as I went out and about and covered up as much as possible with my hat and sunglasses. When people stared at my battered face I just said ‘Meine Frau’ and they nodded understandingly. Well – they wouldn’t have believed me if I had said ‘Meine Katze’.

I went to tell the man in the optometrists why I was not there for my 10:00 o’clock appointment and he said I should be in hospital. I though this was an overreaction but perhaps he is a bit frail.

Cate is agitating about her new camera. She doesn’t know what kind she wants except it has to be ‘a big one that does everything’. I have told here that I will get her telephoto lens so big that she can take pictures of gnats on the moon.

(This will also be excellent for Bee pictures).