Bubble Tea

Bubble Tea is officially* the "it" thing this summer in London! Not one, but two dedicated bubble tea outlets have opened in the last two months. I started thinking about bubble tea when Ute went to Boba Jam back in January (there are also plenty of places in Chinatown that serve it and I've also had it in Ping Pong before) and a few weeks ago my interest was renewed when I found Bubbleology on twitter.

Bubbe tea was originated in Taiwan in the 1980's where it's as popular as soda in North America. I read somewhere that there are 8,000 bubble tea cafes in Taiwan! I used to live in Seattle and it's a common to find it there too.
Bubble Tea

Chaboba is in Camden Lock Market and opened two months ago. I am in love with this place. I was wandering around the market for about 40 minutes trying to find it but the crush bubble tea I had in the end was well worth it.

I ordered a mango crush bubble tea (a cross between a slushee and a smoothie) with the "bobas" or pearls at the bottom. I chose to have the strawberry "popping" bobbas on top (for an extra 50p). They are so awesome. They're made from natural seaweed extract and are filled with fruit juice. I think the popping bobas give Chaboba a bit of an edge over the competition. I am already hooked and will be back.

Bubble Tea

Bubbleology opened a few days ago in Soho. The shop is larger and a tad more intriguing.

Bubble Tea

The fun part about Bubbleology is their "Cruffins"! English muffins or crumpets with your choice of topping. I of course had a crumpet with cream cheese and m&m's. I'll be back for another Cruffin.

Bubble Tea
Bubble Tea

I had a passion fruit bubble tea.

Bubble Tea

A bubble tea will set you back about the same price as a frappacino so I thought, I've seen the stuff in china town how hard would it be to make my own? I bought some supplies for £5 and made 3 different kinds.

First step is to prepare the tapioca pearls according to the pack. A whole bag cost me £1.70. They come in black or rainbow. Only make as much as you need for the day. They don't keep well.

Bubble Tea

The pearls need to be boiled for 5-25 minutes and then rested for the same amount of time. You can boil the pearls in tea to give them more flavor and add some sugar or honey to them after as well.

Bubble Tea

Simple Bubble Tea
Powdered or already prepared iced tea
3-4 tbs pearls

Bubble Tea
Bubble Tea

1. Make the ice tea and pour it into a glass and drop the pearls in. Enjoy!

Lavender Bubble Tea
1 pot brewed Ceylon tea
1 cup sugar
1/2 water
2 tbs dried lavender
3-4 tbs pearls

1. Brew the Ceylon tea and place it in the fridge to get cold.
2. Make a lavender simple syrup by boiling the water, sugar and lavender in a saucepan. Stir until the sugar dissolves. Pour into a suitable container and place in the fridge to cool (I used a french press so I could separate the lavender later).

Bubble Tea

3. Once everything is cool pour a small amount of sugar syrup in a glass and top up with tea and pearls. The sugar syrup can be kept in the fridge for awhile.

Bubble Tea

Raspberry Green Bubble Tea
Iced green tea
Raspberry Coulis
3-4 tbs Pearls

Bubble Tea

1. Make the green tea according to box or brew some green tea fresh and refrigerate.

Bubble Tea

2. Once chilled pour the tea into a glass with a few tablespoons of the coulis, stir and top with the pearls.

Bubble Tea

I think my home attempt was successful and I will continue to make it inbetween trips to the various outlets! Has anyone else been for bubble tea this summer or tried to make it themselves?
-
*By officially I mean I made it up