Well it doesn’t always. But a recurring question I’m getting is how do I get more people to read my blog? I think it’s bit like setting up a new shop. It can be a terrific little shop but you do need to promote it. Word of mouth is often helpful. For instance, the past few days I’ve been trying to visit many of the new and wonderful commenters here. I read this post and have not been able to get it out of my head. I thought it was just so good.
But to get your blog out there to a wider readership, join in a blog hop. There are loads of them out there. It depends on your interests obviously. I enjoy writing and and reading other blogs enormously. That's why I'm sharing this.
These are 4 blog hops I am a big fan of and have participated in before.
But I want to share a couple of things I've learned about Blog Hops.

     1) It’s like being invited to a party. Your hostess will have some ground rules. Not draconian ones obviously. It wouldn’t be a fun party if they did. But make sure you read those first and stick to them.

2    2) You know when you arrive first at a party it’s often great? The hostess greets you warmly and all the guests arriving soon after chat with you. Being the first on a blog hop is a bit like that. Chances are lots of people will read your post and leave a comment. My suggestion though is to not necessarily focus on reading those posts. Mix it up a bit. Focus on the guests arriving last to the party. You know how nice it is when someone makes you feel welcome in a crowded room? Well be like that with the Blog Hop. Pick a few blogs to read from the middle or the end of the hop and comment on them, or follow them if you like them.
      
      3) You are encouraged to read and comment on all the blogs in a blog hop but sometimes that’s simply impossible. They’re often too big. But don’t make the mistake of linking up to a blog hop and then not participating. That is not the way it works. If you want to be part of a community, you have to be interactive.

 These are my favourite four.

Easiest Blog Hop EVER.

Allison Tait’s Rewind in the Fibro is fantastic. I don’t actually have to write anything! The purpose of this one is for you to link up old posts you’ve written to give them a new audience.
This is run on Fridays and over the weekend. Easy as that!


Positive People

I think it’s pretty clear I like to focus on the positive aspects of life. This is probably my favourite blog hop for that reason. Run by the terrific Maxabella, it gets you to focus on being grateful. At the end of a stressful week I find it therapeutic to write a post where I think about the good things that have happened that week rather than the negative. I have found some of my favourite blogs in this particular Blog Hop. That’s run on Friday night and over the weekend.

Health and Fitness

I’m in a constant battle to stay fit and healthy. So Diminishing Lucy is an awesomely inspirational blog hop to join in if this is something you are working on. She runs her Blog Hop “Fat to Fit” every Thursday and is one of the most generous and supportive bloggers in the blogosphere.






Fearless and Fun

The last one I recommend is Flog yo Blog which is run by the lovely Glowless. Here you’ll be able to link up any post you’ve written that week and join in the fun. There are often some great giveaways and really diverse and interesting content on that blog hop which is well worth reading.

Again, I’m not a blogging expert. But I do know these are thriving and open communities that welcome people. I hope this has been helpful especially for those of you starting out or struggling a bit with your blog. I know EXACTLY what that's like.
If you know any other great blog hops or you run one yourself please make sure you leave a link or recommendation in the comments section.
I will update this post with links to them for people to find. I know there are some terrific photography and parenting ones which people would be keen to find out about. 
So which one do you think you might sign up for this week?


Top Image courtesy of We Heart it. Thank you!


Other great Blog Hop Suggestions:


Fashion: "Fancy Pants" at Kymmie





Early childhood play at Childhood 101

We Play

Photography at HeyHarriet



My creative space at Kootoyoo

Photography: Wordless Wednesday Faith, Hope and a Whole Lotta Love