You know those urban myths we’re all familiar with? Like the one about chewing gum taking seven years to pass through the human digestive system? A quick check at Snopes and it’s easy to discover it’s not true.
Well I think flight upgrades are another urban myth. Something designed to give economy class travellers false hope at the airport.
You see, I have been on a fair few plane flights in my life. The journeying began when I was very small. Every couple of years, after lots of careful saving, my parents would make the long sojourn across to the other side of the world to visit our grandparents. At the time this involved lots of stops and flight changes. In fact, at that time it appeared more plane changes equalled cheaper flights.
It also meant long layovers. An 8 hour wait in Copenhagen airport terminal is one burned in the brain of every family member on the particular trip. This was after a 6 hour stopover at the terminal in Singapore. I think we probably could have walked there faster.
In those days, or what my offspring charmingly refer to as 'the olden days,' kids could roam the aeroplane. And we had serious seat envy of those who lived up the left of the plane. They even had proper cutlery! (Though I don't think they even have that anymore)
Now I completely understand the logic of not upgrading a family. No one would do that.
But then I became a grown up and did a fair bit of travelling myself and NOT ONCE has anyone said “Thank you for travelling with XYZ airlines and hey, we’d like to upgrade you today!”
NOT ONCE.
And it has been a lot of plane flights after several years of living overseas myself as well.
I’ve tried dressing smartly, smiling sweetly, almost lovingly at the check in clerk and sending urgent mental messages 'Please upgrade me, please upgrade me!'
Nothing.
Nada.
I've heard of so and so's cousin's step sister being offered an upgrade and Aunt Betty's nephew twice removed even making it to first class. But does it ever really happen?
I am ever the optimist.
Today when I go to check in at the airport this morning for a whistlestop trip to the other side of the country, I will wait to hear the magic words 'UPGRADE'
And for once,
Go left, instead of right, when getting on the plane.
Wish me luck or give me the ultimate how to get an upgrade tip x

Image courtesy of We Heart It.