As a little kid I always dreamed of becoming a princess. The fact that my name means princess probably didn’t help assuage the fantasy either. Of course, as a grown up I know being a princess is not all it's cracked up to be.
Sure, there are the fancy dressing up bits. But there’s also the relentless media attention, devotion to ‘duty,’ even if you’re feeling like death and while there’s lots of privilege associated with it, mostly it’s lots of hard work.
You’ll be relieved to know my obsession with royalty was finally teased out of me at school. One particular girl called me “Lady Di” all the time. And it wasn’t meant kindly.
I was my own worst enemy in some ways. I was very proud of the fact that my grandfather had been knighted by the Queen, and my grandmother’s recounts of their stays at Windsor Castle provided wonderful reading material when I was growing up. And I let everyone know about them, thinking they would be as delighted for me as I was.
The sad thing is as an adult I began to realize what was extraordinary was not that my grandparents had met the Royal Family.  In fact, I’d missed the point completely. What was outstanding was what my grandfather had achieved in his work. He earned his honours. Royalty usually get theirs merely by birthright, which is not the same thing.
Like many people, I will be watching the Royal Wedding this coming week. My daughter is as excited about it as I am. Because to her, being a princess sounds like wonderful fun.  It’s all about the sparkles, the dress and the carriage. And I’m not going to spoil it for her. As a grown up I know the reality will be revealed soon enough.
And I may not have completely lost my princess streak.  I can sure be as haughty as one when I’m in a bad mood. Just ask my family!
And I er, bought this yesterday.

Not for me of course.
For a friend ;)
Will you be watching the wedding? 

1st image courtesy We Heart It