My Whoopie Pie book finally came! It had been on order at Amazon for over a month. I like the book. It has all the cake and fillings separate so you can mix and match. There's also a page of suggested combos.

I decided on Classic Chocolate and Salty Peanut Butter filling. I rolled the finished pies in chopped hazelnuts.



I don't particularly like vegetable shortening but the chocolate one I chose only has a small amount, 4tbs. I don't like it when the recipe calls for one cup or more.

Classic Chocolate Whoopie
adapted from Whoopie Pies

Ingredients

1 2/3 cups all purpose flour
2/3 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 tbs baking soda (I used baking powder by mistake and it was fine)
1/2 tsp salt
4 tbs unsalted butter at room temperature
4 tbs vegetable shortening
1 cup dark brown sugar (packed)
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup milk (I used soy)

1. Preheat oven to 375 F/190 C and line 2 baking trays with parchment paper.

I used my donut pan to make a few big ones as well

2. Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt into a small bowl.


3. In a large bowl beat with a electric mixer the butter, shortening and brown sugar on low speed until combined. Increase the speed to medium and beat until fluffy and smooth, about 3 minutes. Add the egg and vanilla and beat for another 2 minutes.


4. Add half the flour mixture and half of the milk to the batter and beat on low until incorporated. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add the remaining flour mixture and 1/2 cup of milk and beat until completely combined.


5. Using a spoon (I used my cookie scoop), drop 1 tbs of batter onto the baking sheets, spacing each scoop 2 inches apart. Bake one sheet at a time (I did 2 at a time) for 10 minutes each, or until the pies spring back when pressed gently. Remove from the oven and let the cakes cool on the sheets for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.


Salty Peanut Butter filling
adapted from Whoopie Pies

Ingredients
3/4 cup creamy or crunchy peanut butter
3/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup icing sugar
1/2 tsp salt (optional for extra saltiness)


I rolled the pies in hazelnuts and chocolate chips but the chocolate chips were too big and they don't sell mini chips in the UK.

1. In a large bowl beat together the peanut butter and butter on low speed until smooth and creamy. Add the icing sugar and salt (if desired) and beat on low until incorporated. Increase speed to medium and beat until the filling is light and fluffy about 4 minutes.

2. Using a spatula or piping bag spread a generous drop on one cake and top with another cake. Roll in nuts, chocolate chips or sprinkles if desired.