I have blogged at length about my hatred of sandwich making. However that doesn’t mean I don't work hard to ensure my kids have yummy lunches for school. I walk a fine line between giving them “cool snacks” and ensuring they have healthy food to eat.
In my household there is a little routine with my clan where they prepare their own lunchboxes for school. Even Mr. Small joins in on the act and in fact, he insists on preparing his own pack. Occasionally this means I have to “edit” the contents when he isn’t looking but usually it goes smoothly.
What I do is leave out the contents they need to include and they then fill their lunchbox. I leave them an ice block to keep their food cool, a morning snack, a piece of fruit and a sandwich. They then pack it up to take to school.
My kids love trying new foods so when I was asked to try the new Bega Junior cheese and the Bega Shaper Puzzlers, they were delighted. Because I like to keep an eye on their nutrition intake it was really important to me to ensure what they were eating was good for them.
I am pleased to report that they have no artificial colours or flavours and have a solid amount of calcium which is great for their bones.
All good, so far.
But would the kids like them?
Well, judging from the rapidly denuded packaging in our fridge I’m on yes, they do.
The older two like the Junior Cheese pack and Mr. Small LOVES the puzzle pieces of cheese. He solemnly collects his puzzle pieces from the resealable ziplock bag to place in his little Tupperware container. (This container is meant for storing jelly, but is awesome for storing little snacks like this instead. Win/win)
So here’s how I leave the food out:

 And then Mr. Small sets eagerly to work. (Pardon the black smudge on his face. He was playing army commandos with his older brother beforehand )

Working to ensure my children are independent and eating properly is a constant balancing act. Right now I’m pleased to report it’s all good on this tightrope. ;)