Throughout undergrad at FSU (go noles! whoop whoop!) my Uncle Bro (who is the most bad ass chef you'll ever meet) would come over every Monday night to cook for me and my friends.  Although I live super far from Tallahassee, Bro and I still have super long conversations about food and he's always coming up with some really crazy ideas for my blog (be looking forward to the redneck eclectic...holy shit... ahh!!  coming soon!). So when I called him today while i was at the farmers market obsessing over all the super sexy tomatoes, he said "you should do a fried green tomato grilled cheese" and i was like "FUCK YEA!" So i did.  So with this little baby we fused our southerness with a little south of the border queso fresco and the results were seriously way beyond anything i was expecting.


Ingredientes!


- 3 tbs crumbled queso fresco
- 1 thinly sliced piece of cornbread, about the size
   of your tomato
- 2 pads of butter
- 2 fried green tomatoes!







The first thing you'll want to do is fry those green tomatoes.  If you've never done it before, click the link above in the ingredients area and go for it! It was my first time doing it all myself and it was pretty quick and easy and it was hellagood.  I also got some ready made cornbread from whole foods because I suck at baking i didn't feel like baking today.  It was pretty thin which is what you'll want, but you'll also want to use the outside as the inside on this sandwich.  That sounds confusing but basically you'll cut the cornbread down the middle and pile on half the cheese on the side that was baked.  This is confusing me just writing about it, but you'll see in the picture below what i mean.


 See? The freshly cut side will be the buttered side at the end.  Whatever, i'm sure it won't make much of a difference if you do the wrong side. Now lay on the fried green tomatoes!


EEeeeeeee! So cute.  Now put on the remaining cheese and try to get it as close to the middle as possible cause this is a pretty tall sammie.


Then put on the top piece of cornbread the same way as the first one and turn the skillet up to medium heat.


Now melt one pad of butter in your heated skillet and lay that baby carefully in. My cornbread started to fall apart and it started to get ugly, but there was no going back. So, I went with it.


When it was ready to be flipped, I picked it up with my spatulla and threw another tab of butter in. Be careful because it gets super crumbly.  When it was golden brown and lovely on both sides I took it off the stove.


 This GC was a complete mess but it was muy delicioso! I hope you enjoy it!



xoxo,

GCS