This is the easiest recipe for sausage rolls. I made them for the first time at Christmas and I'm totally hooked I make a big batch and freeze them. They're handy for snacks on the weekend.

You could also dress them up and serve them as appetizers to guests. I don't think the photo shows them in the best way. They look ugly but they are addictive. They don't last long in our house so I didn't waste time making them look beautiful.

Simple Sausage Rolls
adapted from Delicious Dec 2009

Ingredients
500g block puff pastry (or sheet)
1 beaten egg
450g sausagemeat
50g breadcrumbs
50 ml apple juice
6 fresh sage leaves chopped finely (or a dash of dried sage)
2 small eating apples cored and grated


Ocado/Waitrose have really good sausagemeat. The regular sausagemeat is also fab

1. In a big bowl mix all of the ingredients with your hands. Season and chill for 30 minutes.


2. I was lazy and bought a puff pastry sheet so I wouldn't have to roll it out


If using a block or a sheet roll it out and cut it in half


Divide the sausagemeat in half, roll each portion into a long log and lay along the middle of each pastry strip.


Brush the edges of the pastry with a little egg, then fold over to enclose the sausagemeat, and seal well.

I brushed mine with egg after I brought the sides up


3. Chill for 10 minutes, then, using a sharp knife cut each log into small pieces, and place on a baking tray. Brush all over with egg. Open freeze, then layer in a freezer proof container or bag.


4. To cook preheat oven to 220 C. Bake from frozen on baking tray for 15 minutes until puffed, golden and cooked through, serve warm.

Variations
Since I used an already flavored sausagemeat this time I skipped adding in the apples. With regular sausagemeat add apples and all the seasoning for flavor. Ale can also be replaced for the apple juice.