She's been so excited.
She's asked me hopefully every day: "Is it school today mummy?"
And each day we've counted down the sleeps left to go.
But today
my heart broke a little,
for her.
There was a "soothe mums nerves before school starts up get together" at the local park today.
And I saw my daughter being bullied.
I saw another little girl who looked as if butter wouldn't melt in her mouth don't they always look like that? telling my daughter she couldn't play with her because she didn't like her.
And I saw my daughter walk away head bowed, holding back tears.
I sit here now itching to pick up the phone to the other girl's mum. But I won't. My little girl needs to learn to fight her own battles.
I hate the bewilderment that she feels because of the rejection.
I hate that she's only five and has to go into a world that somehow, isn't quite as friendly as before.
Somehow I don't think we'll be counting down the sleeps anymore.