It’s Anzac day today. This was the day in 1915 when Australian, New Zealand and British forces landed on the Turkish coast at Gallipoli. It apparently seemed like a good idea at the time. They stayed for a while, were massacred in their droves and eventually left.

It was a complete disaster and was an ominous sign of the mass slaughter which was to come in France in the later years of the war.

The Australians and the Kiwis were so upset by the whole shemozzle that we initiated ANZAC day which is the day each year when we remember the fallen.

The combined forces were driven off the peninsula by Mustafa Kemal Ataturk who was then the relatively junior commander of the Turkish forces at Gallipoli and who later became the founder of the Republic of Turkey – and its first President.

He took the whole Gallipoli thing rather well considering the number of his ‘Mehmets’ that the invaders killed - and later built the memorial at Anzac Cove.

I was weighing the cats and discovered that I now weigh 92.3 kilograms. This is the heaviest I have ever been. Now sure it coincides with three weeks of holiday eating and not much serious exercise – but it is just appalling.

According to the BMI sites I have looked at I should be between 61-80 Kilograms. 61 Kilograms? Screaming Lord Sutch! I would have to lose 32 Kilograms!

I kept checking until I found one that told me my ideal weight is 85 kilos. That is better – I can live with that. But I am happy to shoot for 80.

Notwithstanding almost terminal Hay Fever I started riding again today and discovered that the bloody trees are already molting. They are all sending down showers of white and yellow blossomy thingies (I don’t know what they are called) and soon this will turn into a veritable storm through which I will have to ride stoically and sneezing incessantly.

But it has to be done. I need to eat properly, exercise and lose weight. I need to be at my ideal weight by the time we go cycling in Italy in July. It will be so!

But weight is not a problem for some people. I read an article online recently about fat people who like to be fat and want to get fatter.

I don’t quite understand this. I can understand fat people who are unhappy being fat and would rather be thinner. I understand fat people who are comfortable with their weight and have no desire to be thinner.

I cannot understand fat people who are fat and want to get fatter – but maybe it’s just me. This is a bit hard to explain so I have included some parts of the article:

“Peter rejoices whenever he puts on more weight. He loves how his protruding belly moves and delights in the fact it gets in his way.

At 170 cm and weighing a hefty 113 kilograms, Peter, who requested that his last name not be published, is on a quest to become even more corpulent. He documents his weight gain on his blog, GitBigger.com, under the pen name "Stupidgit."

"I love how my weight feels when I run, falling and shaking my body shortly after each step..." the 23-year-old Lexington, Kentucky, resident, writes on his blog. "The only thing I love more than being fat, is getting fatter."

As hard as it is to understand, Peter is not alone in his desire to gain weight. The internet is rife with "gainer" blogs, plus dating sites and discussion forums that glorify big bodies, with names such as Fatnesse Follies, Growing Larger, BiggerCity.com and BellyBuilders.com.

While far from mainstream, the phenomenon was brought into the public eye in March, when a 272 kilogram New Jersey mother announced she is trying to reach 453 kilograms (1,000 pounds) to become the world's fattest woman.

Donna Simpson, a 42-year-old mother, told Britain's Daily Mail that she raises money for her weekly $US750 ($802.65) food budget through a web site where men pay to watch her eat. Her longtime boyfriend reportedly encourages her weight gain.”

Excuse me?

I can imagine men paying women to do a lot of things but – eat?

The New Jersey woman is going to have her work cut out based on what I see in the USA each time I go there – but good luck to her. Everyone needs a goal in life.

Mine is to lose 7 kilos in 2 months and then get to 80 kilos by the end of Summer.