Easter Cake Pops

It's my one year blogiversary today! Nearly 200 posts in one year! I can't believe it's been a year already. It's been a blast.

Easter Cake Pops

To celebrate, inspired by the new cake pops at Starbucks I decided to make my own cake pops. The one I had was nice but had too much frosting mixed into the cake.

Easter Cake Pops

Easter Cake Pops

Easter Cake Pops

I made some really simple Easter cake pops with lemon cake. This is something that anyone can make. You don't have to be a baker or expert decorator (for you fabulous artistic types check out April's Nun Pops). I've just used some fun Easter sprinkles and some really bright yellow candy melts.

Easter Cake Pops

I went all the way to Gloucester Road to Partridges to get this cake mix (It's probably in my head but I like the US ones better than the UK ones). I definitely think that cake mix has it's time and place and for cake pops I give it the thumbs up. Especially as I'm still learning. I'd like to be able to make them a little more smooth looking next time. You can of course make any cake and frosting that you like for cake pops as well. I had fun making these so I think it's time I get a Cake Pop book. Not sure I can wait all the way till June for this to be published though!
-
Easter Cake Pops

As a quick aside, the day I had my laser eye surgery I came home to this from Dr. Oetker! It certainly cheered me up.

Easter Cake Pops

I haven't decided what to make yet with all my goodies but I am in love with this little green egg timer.

Lemon Cake Pops

Ingredients
1 box Lemon Cake Mix
1 can Lemon Frosting
1 bag yellow candy melts
Vegetable Oil
Easter Sprinkles
Lollipop sticks

1. Make the cake mix according to the directions on the box and leave to cool completely.

Easter Cake Pops

2. Once the cake is cool crumble it to small uniform crumbs using a fork. Stir in half of the can of frosting and combine until sticky enough to form balls. Stir in a scoop of frosting more at a time as needed. Don't add to much or the cake will go soggy.

Easter Cake Pops

3. Using a cookie scoop take two rounds of dough and form into a smooth round ball. Place on a cookie sheet and chill until very firm.

Easter Cake Pops

4. Place candy melts in a microwave safe bowl and heat for 30 seconds at a time stirring in between until melted. If you find the candy melts to thick for dipping add a tablespoon of vegetable oil at a time. Don't go too thin though.

5. Take a Lolly stick and dip a small dab of candy melts on the end and stick it in the cake. Dip into the candy melts covering all the cake. Gently shake off any excess and cover with the sprinkles you'll be using. The chocolate will start to dry quickly! Place in any make shift holder you can find to dry.

Easter Cake Pops

6. Store in an air tight container when all pops are dry. They also freeze well.

What's everyone's top tips for cake pops?