This is the pile of books by my bedside. Some are new, and a couple are old favourites that I like to go back and re-read. They're like old friends and I can skim familiar words and phrases without having to think too much.

Do you see a theme here?

I will say that the autobiography of Sarah Brown was a delicious surprise. She's an extraordinary lady. A class act. Gordon did well there.
My historical biographies were all terrific reads, and part of me wishes I could write one. I love the idea of researching a person and gathering together everything I possibly can and synthesizing it. I have the perfect person in mind, but not the budget or time sadly.
I absolutely loved Hazel Rowley's biography of Eleanor and Franklin Roosevelt. In a note of poignancy, she was due to appear at the Perth Writer's Festival, but died unexpectedly the week beforehand. I'd have been thrilled to get her autograph. I'm thankful she has this book as a testimony to her writing and research skills.
I know my obsession with biographies and autobiographies will pass and I will move onto a different genre soon. But till then I will keep hunting down books like this that take my fancy and buying them. Not borrowing. Recent events have made me passionate about supporting our book industry. And I figure one of our children will read them one day.
Maybe even I will get to feature on their shelf too.
Fingers crossed.
Except when typing.
Are you reading anything good right now?