There were lots of grasshoppers just about everywhere we went. I think this one was by the side of the road on the way to the northern part of Zion.


In Bryce Canyon, this brown fellow made a lot of noise as he was flying. I followed the sound and saw what appeared to be a large grasshopper with yellow wings. Once he landed and I was able to sneak up on him, he really wasn't very big. He was very well camoflauged, and his yellow inner wings were all folded up, so I couldn't see them.




Another little grasshopper with red legs.



There were lots of these pretty green ones.


These green ones were all (as far as I could tell) females, and they had short wings, so they probably couldn't fly.



A lot of them had "dates". The boys were all brownish.


These lovers were yet another species.








We saw a rather large grasshopper shed skin on a trail. It looked like a gray bird, but I didn't see any of the actual grasshoppers....


...but I did see a bunch of these beauties. Green Bird grasshoppers! These were a first for me. They were at the Zion Visitor Center.



A dorsal view.







A little desert grasshopper in Amboy, in the California desert along Route 66, on our way home.

Now you see him...



Now you don't! Well, maybe you still do!