I read today Bill and Melinda Gates do a plan every six months together. They work out the goals they want to achieve in the coming months, what they want their kids to see, and learn and who and where they can help the most.

I have always found that when I want to achieve something, writing it down moves it, from being an abstract concept to something concrete, and most of the time, I do it. Not always, but mostly.
So it got me thinking, what do I want to achieve this forthcoming year?
Firstly DH and I are going to do the Weight Watchers equivalent of a budget. We are going to map out a plan for saving up as much as we can, sensibly and safely. Not just for improving our financial security, but so the kids see good role modelling of the value of money and treating it respectfully. I am the first to admit I am HOPELESS at saving money or being prudent, but recent events have been a wake-up call for me.
I also think that if I can moderate my eating and lose weight sensibly and slowly, and keep it off, then I can transfer this attitude to money. So I will see how it goes. I feel very positive about having a savings plan, and even more importantly I am determined to stick to it. We are going to "weigh in" once a fortnight. The "meeting" will be a great chance for DH and I to really discuss how our little household is running and ways to improve it.
Secondly I am going to continue working on myself. I fully intend to keep this weight off and if possible lose 2 more kilos by my birthday.My WW meeting today had a new booklet and eating plan which I thought would be very useful post Christmas, for shedding the kilo or so I will no doubt gain in the next few days. I will also continue with the yoga and long refreshing walks with Mr L in the stroller.
Finally I will use this year at home to figure out what I will do next career wise. I am lucky, I get to be at home with my kids and work in the evenings. I love the job I do and see the difference it makes. I know when I worked full time with two small children I was never as unhappy in my life. BUT, I like working. You know, getting dressed up, interacting with grown ups. However it's finding the right the balance. In a year I will have two kids at school full time and a toddler ready for pre kindy. That's when I need to get back to work, but this time I want to find something that I will be passionate about, rather than just to help pay the mortgage and go through the motions. 
Finally, I want to live in the moment as much as possible and be grateful for what I have, rather than stressing about what I don't have. One of the most talented writers I know is dying, she is a mother of two little ones and she is an inspiration. Reading her blog today, reinforced for me how precious and tenuous our hold on life is. If you get a chance, stop by her and blog and offer her and her beautiful family support http://lemmondrops.blogspot.com/
In a world filled with excess, I am trying to bring it back to basics, to remember the real Christmas message, to simplify my life this year. Reading this post again in a few months will be interesting. I am suffering premature nostalgia already!