I'm getting waayyy behind in my posting. Especially since I took so many bug pictures in the desert last week. So I'm dragging out the dreaded Blog Catchup bottle, but I'm just going to give it a little squeeze tonight. That's all I have the energy for.

The following pictures are of bugs that were attracted to the light in the front window of the little house we rented in Joshua Tree. I even hung a white sheet in the window in the hope of attracting them. We got a number of cool bugs the first night.


This big spider was coming after all the moths that were fluttering in the window.


Here he is on the corner of the windowsill. He's practically all legs.


Here you get an idea of how I hung up the sheet in the window. There were lots more moths and bugs than this, but they were all moving around.


A nice back-lit moth shot.


I don't think this is necessarily the same moth, but a similar one, with better lighting.



An ant lion, frantic to get through the glass.


Ant lion resting (and pooping, apparently)


This small mantis was among the window-flutterers. Fully grown and winged, but not much over an inch long.

The night also brought out a wandering stick insect of respectable size. (photos to come).

Unfortunately, the rest of our stay was very windy, and no bugs visited the light in the window on the remaining 2 nights. But I managed to take some daytime shots of other bugs I found. I'll try to get them up soon.