It was around this time last year I went on a course. For those of you who don't know, I taught English and Literature for many years before deciding to pursue a career in writing. The course I'd signed up for was one in editing. Though I had spent years editing the work of my students, I wanted some help with the editing my own article writing. 

I've never been afraid to take on a new challenge. Well actually that's not true. I've usually been utterly terrified, but I've gone and done it anyway.
So when the Perth Writer's Festival rolled around, I saw a course on editing and signed up. It was an amazing day. There was a class full with all of us there for different reasons. I remember sitting next to a girl who had written 2 novels and wanted to know how to edit them properly. I'd come clutching a couple of articles I'd written, and was in huge admiration of this girl who'd done something that till then I'd only dreamed of.
The woman running the course was herself a former editor and is now a successful novelist.
 I remember having to sit on my hands to stop myself from asking her for an autograph. Some people view celebrities with awe, I feel that way about writers. I remember the first time I actually spoke to Lisa Heidke on the phone and having to stop myself from gushing. Because this lady was a published author!
The day itself was informative and interesting and planted the kernel. The one that possibly I could write a whole book. Maybe I could do something like the lady running the course and maybe, just maybe, be a published author.
I'm not there yet. I'm not even close. But the journey writing my manuscript began on that day. At the moment I'm working on rewriting the whole damn thing and I'll get there. I know I will. In the meantime I've booked in for some more courses at the Perth Writers Festival this year. I may also spend some quality time stalking Caroline Overington too.
But there are two important things I wanted to say. One, if you are at all interested in writing, be it creative or non fiction, Al Tait has an amazeballs giveaway happening at her blog.
And secondly, the lady who ran the editing course I attended. The successful editor turned author?
She is guest posting on my blog tomorrow. On a topic you are going to want to read about I promise. Over the past year I have learned how extraordinarily encouraging and generous writers are. I'm honoured she's going to be here. Yes I'm gushing. She's an A.U.T.H.O.R. I can't help it.
See you all tomorrow.