Years ago, when I first started teaching, I remember sitting in on an older teacher's class. And she told them how it was likely they would have four or five career paths in their lifetime.
With the delightful, smug arrogance of youth, or maybe it was just an arrogance I can't blame on anything, I remember thinking: "That won't happen to me. I'll always be a teacher!"
And now, I can't imagine setting foot in a classroom again unless it's as parent volunteer for one of my children.
Which is all well and good but not practical when it comes to a long term career plan.
And I don't have one.
My spectacular fail at a job application recently (and the close date was today and I'll be sure to let you know when the polite but inevitable "thanks, but no thanks" letter arrives) taught me one thing.
If it's the right thing for me, it will work out.
It also made me realise I really want to write.
Not a book. Well not yet anyway.
Maybe magazine articles. If Madison magazine or Grazia want to give me a call. I am available :)
I even wrote to a local radio station offering to regularly update the blogs of their radio hosts because I wanted to write...something!
A chat with a girlfriend recently where we discussed how things would be in an ideal world was great fun.
Here's mine:
In an ideal world
There would be a team of 3 of us doing events management.
One of us would do the "hard stuff," the organising. The quotes, the negotiating, the research.
One of us would do the writing. The flyers, the invites, the press releases, the briefs, the menus, the publicity etc etc. (Ahem, me) If companies wanted to release a product or needed to inform share or stakeholders about things, who would they pick to write it up? Me!
And the other one of us would be the "Face." She would do the meeting and greeting, the public face of it all. She doesn't know that yet, but she's perfect for it.
This is all in my ideal world.
And it's so far from my reality it's laughable.
I wonder how many of us dream of an "ideal world/job"
And what is it?
What's yours?
Monica's job comes pretty close to my ideal world. In my "other" ideal world I'd be her taste tester!
So I'm nowhere near where I want or need to be. But I guess thinking about it. And laughing is a pretty good start.