Today is International Rock Flipping Day, and I was out early in search of some good "look-unders" but I wasn't too thrilled with what I found.

A colony of ants, suddenly exposed, scurries to protect their babies (the little white things). I can't tell you how many rocks have ants under them, or how uninterested I am in them. These are Argentine ants, and they are everywhere, all year long. There was a nice little video someone took of what appears to be a similar frenzy of exposed ants. You have, maybe, 5 seconds before you have ants running up your legs. Time to put the rock back and move on.


A few isopods.



This sowbug killer spider has good "ick" value, but still nothing I haven't seen a bunch of times over.

I don't know if I'll get a chance to do any more look-unders today. It's too hot out right now.

In the meantime, check out other peoples' findings on Flickr, and also on the Wanderin' Weeta Blog