Last night we went to Carols by Candlelight which was held after mass at our local parish. For reasons beyond understanding ok, I am a "more the merrier type of person! we had multiple children in tow and were meeting up with my extended family after the service. Years of training in this department meant that I had chopped up cheese and sausages, prepared dips, and packed drinks and crackers. I also shoved in a large platter to serve it all on.
So we attended mass and afterwards set ourselves up on the beautiful plaza area next to the Church. It was a hot evening. Very hot. I had several children running around at my feet and my mood wasn't helped by the sarcastic comments coming from the couple sitting on deckchairs next to us.
As my husband organised chairs, I like many people around us, unpacked the multiple containers of food and laid them out artistically they lay where they fell on my platter. As I did this, the chorus of comments about "Talk about OVER packing," and "What else did SHE bring, the kitchen sink?" continued.
Now you know I fret. You know I worry about everything. But what you didn't know is that I can be very cutting. I was really annoyed by the stream of comments coming my way, but I continued with my task, getting more and more flustered and red in the face.
It took my six year old son to see it.
Really see what I missed.
The next comment of "Some people really overdo it" had me ready to let fly with a verbal torrent, but my son tugged my arm and signalled he had something he wanted to whisper to me. And for me, it's really important to try and listen to my children. Failure to do so in the past has often resulted in wet pants, serious accidents and the like.
So I knelt down and said very impatiently: "What is it?"
and he looked at me and said
"Mum, they haven't got any food!"
And I looked over and understood.
My son had seen what I had missed.
Unlike virtually everyone else at the service this couple had bought no food. They had their little outdoor chairs and nothing else.
And just like me, when I am jealous or envious, they did EXACTLY what I always do. They had resorted to sarcasm to mask their own feelings.
So I continued on my way and said nothing.
As soon as the platter was set up, I made sure husband and various children were attended to and went over and offered to share our food with them.
And they smiled heartbreakingly lovely smiles and helped themselves.
And they wished us a happy and holy Christmas.
And thanks to the wisdom of my son I think it will be.
PART 2
It's no exaggeration to say how important blogging and my blog friends are to me. And I have a couple of little presents to giveaway.
Firstly, for many 2010 can't come soon enough. For others, it will be a painful wrench to move away from a year that contains precious memories. And so my first gift ties in with this. I decided 2010 was going to be the year of the PERFECT diary and thanks to my friend Miss K I found it!!!!
Now this was the one I had this year,

yes Mr Small ripped off the cover, and yes it's pretty horrible. So this is my new one and I bought one for one of you too!
here's the link if you'd like a look at all the GORGEOUS stuff from Kikki-k and to get a closer look at all the cute features in YOUR diary.
My second present is a beautiful bracelet made from onxy and silver by some very talented friends. I chose the bee as
a motif because for me, the bee is synonymous with what life is so often like. I'm pretty sure you all get the metaphor!

I'd LOVE for you to enter my giveaway, the only thing I'd ask is that you are a follower of my blog because I really want to give these gifts to friends or potential friends.
To enter, leave a comment and let me know what your favourite Christmas Carol is.
I'll leave this open until Thursday and draw a winner for each by random integer. xxxx