Last year I had the pleasure of being "on duty" with my daughter's class at school. One of the unexpected bonuses of this particular day was a tour of all the other classrooms in the primary school.
One year group in particular had outdone themselves. There were displays of famous landmarks. I'm talking the Eiffel Tower made out of matchsticks, the Sahara Desert made out of er, sand and the Sydney Opera House made out of paper mache.
All really, truly breathtaking creations.
Now I myself am not crafty.
I have my nose pressed longingly up against the glass when it comes to this kind of project.
This is an area known fondly as: "my husband's department."
Now he loves projects like this. I mean LOVES.
Last year he and my son spent many happy hours drawing together and mapping out how they could construct a particular class project.
But it's our turn this year I believe for this project.
And I've been thinking about it.
Part of me thinks this kind of project is a wonderful bonding opportunity between my husband and my son. Because he (husband) works long hours and often has to fly away at short notice he genuinely loves the chance to help the offspring. The reality I oversee 98% of other assignments (as long as they are not craft related)
As a former classroom teacher I also know there is an unspoken competitiveness sometimes as well between parents for their child to have made the most outstanding thing. And I understand that too.
But based on the evidence of the truly phenomenal projects I saw last year I also wondered, just how much of that was the child's own work?
Where's the invisible line between helping your child create something amazing and taking over the project yourself?
Is it okay to do most of it as long as your child is happy and feels involved in some way?
What would you do?
Because I'm honest to goodness, not sure.
The instinctive response I have is to do as much of it as possible because I want my child to have the best thing to offer possible. But I know that really isn't in my heart of hearts the best thing to do.
So I'm throwing it open. Advice welcome!