Peppermint Brownies

I'm making a lot of cupcakes next week for theRemedi sample sale so I decided to make brownies this weekend instead. I love the Fat Witch Brownie cookbook. You don't need any fancy equipment for brownies. I made these with a bowl and a wooden spoon. The little candy cane sprinkles I used taste like peppermint too!

Peppermint Brownies

I got these in US and they melted into a lump on my way back so I melted the whole bag and mixed them in instead of using separate dark and mint chips.

Peppermint Brownies
adapted from Fat Witch Brownies

Ingredients
1 1/2 sticks (175g) unsalted butter at room temperature
1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
1 tablespoon peppermint extract
3 large eggs
1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup plain flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup mint chips
green sugar (optional)

1. Preheat the oven to 350 F/180 C. Grease a 9 x 9 inch pan and dust with flour.

2. Melt the butter and dark chocolate chips (or 1 bag of Andes chips) in a small saucepan over low heat (I was lazy and did it in the microwave). Remove from heat and cool before adding the peppermint extract (I only added a 1 tsp since the chips were already minty).

Peppermint Brownies

3. Cream the eggs, sugar and vanilla together in a large bowl until smooth. Add the cooled chocolate mixture and mix until well blended.

Peppermint Brownies

4. Sift the flour and salt directly into the batter mix until well combined. If using add the mint chips stir them in.

5. Pour the batter in the prepared pan and top with the sugar sprinkles, if using. Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Peppermint Brownies

6. Remove from the oven and let cool for at least an hour.

Peppermint Brownies

These are incredibly fudgey and gooey if eaten soon after taking out from the oven. They would taste so good with a scoop of mint chocolate chip or vanilla ice cream. A really nice easy dessert to make for Christmas.