Is it weird that Valentines Day is one of my #1 favorite holidays? Especially considering the fact that I can't actually remember the last time I've had a boyfriend during this emo-as-hell day?  Maybe it's just that I le love the idea of love (and that i want my life to be a magnetic fields song).

But this also might stem from my preconceived ideas about living in New York.  When I moved up here I had this really romantic idea that I'd find a super cute boyfriend who listened to good music, had a nice pup pup, and a sweet smile.  Whenever we'd walk around, Jens Lekman and Todd Rundgren would be playing in the background and we'd drink bottles of wine all day in Central Park and laugh until our teeth fell out. BUT NOPE - not so much.  Though for some reason or another (maybe it's just the Stevie Nicks in me) it's really easy for me to forget about all the d-bags I've dated  (ok, so i guess there are a few nice ones mixed in there... somewhere) and be semi-optimistic about the future. semi.

But enough about me, let's talk about this super sweet and kindhearted breakfast-in-bed grilled cheese that won't stand you up on a Friday night I'm making for you and your lovie.


And now here are the sweet ingredients:


- 3 heart shaped pieces of challah bread (I used a giant cookie cutter)
- your favorite french toast batter (I used 2 eggs, 1/2 cup of milk, 1/4 tsp vanilla, and 1/4 tsp cinnamon)
- 3 large sliced organic strawberries
- 2 pads of salted butter
- 2 tbs of Mascarpone Cheese
- 2 tbs of Nutella (ZOMG, right?)
*optional whipped cream*



Ok lover, once you get your bread cut up into hearts and your french toast batter whisked, heat your skillet to medium high and melt some butter.  Then lightly submerge your challah for a hot sec into the batter.  After you dredge each piece, carefully place on your skillet without getting too much drip-age everywhere.  I created a nice little trail (on accident) so cupid would know where to find me. yep.



Once the hearts become nice and beautiful on each side, take them off your skillet and let them cool for a few minutes.  You don't want to melt the mascarpone too soon. 


Once they are the perfect temperature (i prefer room-temp) gently spread on your mascarpone.  If you've never had this fancy schmancy type of cheese, let me melt your heart and tell you about it.  It's a sweet Italian creamy soft cheese that is kind of like mix of ricotta, whipped cream, and cream cheese. Super yummy.


Now lay on some of those pretty, pretty strawberries.  I was so excited when I was at Whole Foods today because they had just gotten a shipment in from Florida (my home state!). It was like a special little Valentines Day gift that they gave me without even knowing - besides the fact that they were like 6 bucks for a tiny little carton, but whatevs.


Now for my favorite part - THE NUTELLA.  I just love this stuff sooo much. I've heard about people getting getitng in questionable situations with this stuff, and sometimes I fear that in the right time and place and with the right amount of alcohol I could do something a little weird too. But anyways, before i freak you out even more - go ahead and spread on half the nutella onto one heart. COME ON, it's valentines day.


Now stack it on top, nutella side down and then smear some MORE nutella on the other side.  Gluttony awaits you.


 Now some more berries! awwwWWWWWWwwww!


This seems like there's a lot of steps, but it goes pretty quickly and your lover will love you even more. promise.  Now for the almost last step, smear on some more mascarpone!


Then place the last heart, mascarpone side down, on top of your beautiful pile of sweetness.  ooooo la la.


And now if you want to make this treat extra special. (insert yummy/nonsexual sounding verb here) some whipped on top and dust with some cinnamon!  ALL DONE.



So if you do decide to make this for that special someone - don't forget that mimosas and playing hooky pair perfectly with this little treat.

And if you're alone on Valentines Day,  just follow my lead and chug a bottle of vodka turn up some Twin Sister, and binge eat until your emotions go away just like that giant box of chocolates that came in the mail from your mother secret admirer.

Oh and in case someone appreciates this sandwich a little extra, my favorite flowers are stargazer lilies and my favorite chocolates are vosges. thanks. love you, too.

xoxo,

GCS