Start Date: Aug 6, 2006
Lost to date: 37 lbs.
Still to go: Triple digits

Went to a festival this weekend and it was my undoing. I have survived old lady lunches of salad, pot-luck dinners with nothing but a little slab of turkey on my plate, at least five instances of junk food in the office, and more--but here I am, walking around for hours at this craft show, and there's nothing I can eat. They usually at least have alligator on a stick, but not this year. There was shrimp on a stick--battered and fried--and I guess I could have bought it and thrown away the batter. But I didn't. I got a teriyaki chicken shish-kebab, which tasted sweet, sweet, sweet, and ate half of one of those onion blossoms. Later, when I entered it all into Fitday as best I could, I realized it wasn't all that devastating--maybe 40 carbs in all.

Unfortunately, by that time, it was 9 p.m. and I'd also added Popeye's chicken, a biscuit (egads) and two, yes two, pralines to the stack and it was more like 150 carbs.

Which brings me to "all or nothing" thinking. I know this. I know that if you fall off the wagon you minimize the damage and get back on track. I know that you don't say "what the heck, I've eaten x so why not add y and z?"

But there you have it. And I felt yucky and bloated and the pralines weren't even good. So a two -lb. gain, probably a stall, and we shall see. I was extraordinarily good yesterday and am back on track. We'll see how long the fallout from Saturday lasts.

· Tips