M&M Cookies

m&m cookies were always a staple at our house during Christmas. My mom always made them in addition to snickerdoodles and those peanut butter cookies with the Hershey kiss on top.

They just this Christmas season started having the red and green only m&m's in the UK. Only about 20 years behind the rest of the planet! I couldn't find an exact date they were released but the first TV advert where the m&m "spokes candy" put out a bowl of green and red m&m's for Santa was 1990.

M&M Cookies

I could only find peanut green and red ones at Waitrose and they were packaged in a special tube. I couldn't find regular red and green ones in just a regular bag!

M&M Cookies
I had to settle for the regular colors instead this time

I had a check on the net and there are a minimum of 11 different kinds of m&m in the US (not including the "premium", minis or ice cream). There are 3 in the UK: plain, peanut butter and crispy. The crispy ones are apparently the most profitable and strangely aren't sold in the US any more. What's your favorite kind? I'm partial to peanut and the new pretzel ones which I had when I went home in August. I hope they come to the UK soon!

M&M Cookies
adapted from Martha Stewart makes 3 dozen

Ingredients
2 1/4 cups plain flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
2 cups plain m&m's

1. Preheat oven to 350 F/180 C. Whisk together the flour and baking soda in a small bowl and set aside. Put the butter and sugars into a large bowl and cream with an electric mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes.

2. Reduce speed to low and add the eggs, vanilla and salt. Mix well until blended.

M&M Cookies

3. Mix in the flour and then fold in the m&m's with a spoon or spatula.

M&M Cookies

4. Drop a tablespoon of dough onto a non stick baking sheet, spacing each 2 inches apart and bake for 10-12 minutes until golden brown. Let cool for 2 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.

M&M Cookies
my sister sent me this cute cookie scoop.

M&M Cookies
They are great for freezing as well. I like to eat them frozen too!