I just realized it's been over a week since I posted anything here, (although I did post a nice set of pictures of my wide-arm mantid female on Flickr.)The weather has been cool and cloudy/rainy. I haven't really been looking for bugs too much. I do have these 2 things that were under a log in my yard.


A cute little millipede


A big, ugly spider. This a "sowbug killer". Looks to be a pregnant female.


It's not always easy to take a picture of these kinds of bugs that live under logs, rocks, etc. I have to lift the log up with one hand and be ready to take the picture with the other. The bugs usually scurry away pretty quickly once they realize they've been exposed. Earwigs have been especially problematic because they move really fast. I've been trying to get a good picture of a momma earwig and her babies, but they always disperse too fast, and the pictures are always blurry. I'll keep trying though. It'll give you something to look forward to.