This may sound extremely cheesy, but the most enjoyable part of my day is when I get a phone call from a potential student who asks me, "what trip is right for me?"  As a former AAI student myself, I remember how exciting it was flipping through the catalog and looking on the website at all the potential courses I could take.  The trouble was, I was so new to the climbing scene I had no idea where I should start!  Ultimately, I ended up calling AAI and speaking with a program coordinator, because I needed advice.  Sitting in the role that I am now in, I thoroughly enjoy speaking with new climbers, and finding which program will best suit their goals and desires.

When you call or email us, we will probably respond to your questions with a number of our own.  Here are some common questions I ask:

  • What is your backcountry camping experience?  
  • Have you been on a glacier before? 
  • Do you lead climb, and if so at what level - 5.6, 5.8, 5.10?
  • Do you lead sport or traditional climbs?
  • Have you done any winter climbing?
  • What is your skiing ability?
  • What are your climbing goals for the future?
The final question there, regarding goals, is honestly the most useful in advising people towards the right program.  All of your past experience is helpful in establishing a baseline in where you are at, but knowing where you want to go will shape the response your program coordinator will provide you.

If you have moderate experience on glaciers, but really want to get into climbing and leading alpine ice, then the Alpine Ice course would be right for you.  If you really want to take multi-day ski tours in the backcountry, without access to an avalanche forecast, then AIARE Level 1 and Level 2 avalanche courses would be right up your alley.  If becoming a mountain guide is your next career choice, then I would encourage you to look at our extensive Mountaineering Instructor Professional Training program.  And if you want to just try some rock climbing for the first time ever, then going out with a guide in Red Rock might be the ticket.

When you call, the clearer your goals are in your head, the more you can accurately describe them to us, and the better we can steer you towards the right course.  Our goal is to give you the training to safely and successfully meet your goals, in the most logical and exciting way as possible.  If for some reason your nervous to call, just image your program coordinator looks like the picture below, and hopefully it will take the edge off!

An AAI Program Coordinator (who shall remain nameless), enthusiastically enjoying a conversation with a potential student.
--Andrew Yasso
Program Coordinator